Cervix is a cylinder-shaped, narrow, lower end of the uterus. It has several functions, such as making discharge to keep the vagina clean, keeping the womb from bacteria, allows a baby to leave the womb in order to move through the birth canal during labour. Here cancer occurs in the cell of the cervix.
The malignant growth may start when cervix cells turn into precancerous cells. However, not all such cells develop into cancerous. Practicing safe sex is of immense importance. Certain strains of HPV/ Human Papillomavirus have a role here. For optimum cancer treatment in Siliguri, reach out to the leading oncologist in town.
Early-Stage Signs & Symptoms
Basically, you may not get any significant signs early on. But possible signs can be:
- Watery vaginal discharge that includes blood
- Pelvic discomfort/pain during sexual intercourse
- Vaginal bleeding after menopause
Stage 1 Cervical Cancer Signs
- Heavier menstrual periods
- Prolonged periods
- Heavy blood-containing discharge
- Bleeding after intercourse
- Vaginal bleeding between periods
Advanced Stage Signs & Symptoms
When the malignant growth spreads further to nearby organs/tissues, signs can be:
- Loss of appetite
- Gripping pain in the abdomen
- Painful urination
- Blood in the urine
- Dull backache
- Pain when pooping, blood may come out
The actual cause of cervical cancer is not well understood. Studies have suspected HVP to be increasing the risk. If you notice any of such signs, best to consult a health care provider.
In case you see unexplained vaginal discharge or bleeding, seek immediate medical attention. It may happen that the sign indicates another health concern. Visit the best oncologist to consult about cancer treatment in Siliguri.
What Puts You at Risk
Yes, this medical condition includes a number of risk factors. Have a read:
- Sexually transmitted infections, including Chlamydia, syphilis, gonorrhea, can contribute to the risk of HPV.
- Multiple sexual partners uplift the chance of HPV, especially in unprotected sexual activities.
- Again, early sexual activities can be a potential risk here.
- Smoking elevates the chance of precancerous lesions of the cervix. Substances present in tobacco products damage the DNA of the cervix cells. Plus, the practice makes you more likely to develop a weakened immune system that makes your immunity ineffective in combating HPV.
Steps that you can take so as to prevent the risk include – practicing safe sex, reducing tobacco smoke, limiting sexual partners, getting vaccinated for HPV only if ordered by a doctor, going for routine pap tests, etc. Connect with an expert whose medical care is concerned with gynae oncology to get cancer therapy in Siliguri.
What the diagnostic reports suggest, doctors ensure treatments. Options for medical care may include – surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, immunotherapy, targeted therapy, et al. Based on the cancer extension and your health condition, specialists set the treatment goals.